Friday, April 2, 2010
The Happy-Sad Vacation
I probably shouldn't say vacation but anything away from home is a vacation to me. We will start with the sad. We had to make the trip in the first place because my Grandfather Willard Atkin passed away. While this being sad it was happy at the same time. His mental health had been declining for a long time and in the past few weeks his physical health was also declining to the point that my grandmother wouldn't be able to take care of him at home by herself anymore. So his passing was a blessing and as much as I will miss him, I really feel like he was ready. I will miss walking into the house with my grandpa in his favorite chair asking,"How's my Ellen?" accompanied by a warm smile. He was a great man and raised a good family with eight children, two of them passing on before him. What a great reunion that will be for him! We love him and will miss him!
The Army giving their final gun salute! Scott thought this was "totally awesome". He asked if he could get the generals autograph. He is so silly.
Now for the happy. My kids would say the best part is they got to miss a whole week of school. The best part for me was being able to go and be with my family. I loved every minute of it. On our way to Utah Bethany kept asking if we were at baby Valerie's house yet. When we came in the summer Hillary had just had Valerie before we went home but then we ended up coming back to my Uncle's funeral and Bethany fell in love with her baby Valerie. She asks about her all the time and she was finally getting to go back and see her!! She couldn't wait.
When I took Bethany to the store in Utah for some new shoes she picked out this dress with shoes and necklace to go with it. Bethany loved hers and refused to wear anything else for two days because we all told her how beautiful she was. I thought it would be fun if Valerie had one to match. The morning of the funeral we started taking these pictures and telling Valerie how cute she was. Well Bethany was not having that. So she went downstairs after the pictures and got out her other dress and took it up to Valerie to show her how beautiful it was. Then she made me change her dress so she no longer matched Valerie. Girls?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I miss Grandpa in his chair too, but I was glad he did not have to stay in the rest home for too long.
It was fun to get to see you guys again. I love Bethany. She is quite the girl. It is fun for my girls to have a girl cousin. I wonder if she will still love Valerie next time she sees her if she is to big for Bethany to carry her around. Hopefully they will be good friends. The girls need to stick together with all of those boys around :)
Post a Comment